Approval is fleeting and unsatisfying, and yet we chase after it! In this message, Pastor John reflects on approval and gives us applicable thoughts on chasing after what really matters.
January 24, 2021 | John Hill
Grace | Identity | Relationships
- “Then Paul went to the synagogue and preached boldly for the next three months, arguing persuasively about the Kingdom of God. 9 But some became stubborn, rejecting his message and publicly speaking against the Way….” Acts 19:8-9
- “Obviously, I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant.” Galatians 1:10
- “About that time, serious trouble developed in Ephesus concerning the Way. 24 It began with Demetrius, a silversmith who had a large business manufacturing silver shrines ….: “Gentlemen, you know that our wealth comes from this business. 26 But as you have seen and heard, this man Paul…..” Acts 19:23-24…25-26
- “At this their anger boiled, and they began shouting, “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!” 29 Soon the whole city was filled with confusion…But when the crowd realized he was a Jew, they started shouting again and kept it up for about two hours…” Acts 19:28-29
- “…some Jews from the province of Asia saw Paul in the Temple and roused a mob against him. They grabbed him, 28 yelling, “Men of Israel, help us! …”’ Acts 21:27b-28
- “The whole city was rocked by these accusations, and a great riot followed. Paul was grabbed and dragged out of the Temple, and immediately the gates were closed behind him. 31 As they were trying to kill him, word reached the commander of the Roman regiment that all Jerusalem was in an uproar. 32 He immediately called out his soldiers and officers and ran down among the crowd. When the mob saw the commander and the troops coming, they stopped beating Paul.” Acts 21:10-32
- “As Paul reached the stairs, the mob grew so violent the soldiers had to lift him to their shoulders to protect him. 36 And the crowd followed behind, shouting, “Kill him, kill him!”’ Acts 21:35-36
- ‘“Brothers and esteemed fathers,” Paul said, “listen to me as I offer my defense…”’ Acts 22:1
Reflect on What You’ve Heard
- Who are some people in your life that you want approval from that define a different win than Jesus?
- Where in life are you tempted to run to the approval of mutual hatred?
Pray it Out
God, thank you for giving me standards of approval! Help me to stand strong in your love and to remain steadfast in you. Amen!
More Sermons In This Series
Other Related Content
Based on: Grace | Identity | Relationships