Sermon Discussion Questions
“The Truth Behind What You’re Chasing”
- “Saul waited there seven days for Samuel, as Samuel and instructed him earlier, but Samuel still didn’t come. Saul realized that his troops were rapidly slipping away. 9 So he demanded, “Bring me the burnt offering and the peace offerings!” And Saul sacrificed the burnt offering himself. 10 Just as Saul was finishing with the burnt offering, Samuel arrived. Saul went out to meet and welcome him, 11 but Samuel said, “What is this you have done?” Saul replied, “I saw my men scattering from me, and you didn’t arrive when you said you would, and the Philistines are at Micmash ready for battle. 12 So I said, ‘The Philistines are ready to march against us at Gilgal, and I haven’t even asked for the LORD’s help!’ So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering myself before you came.” 13 “How foolish!” Samuel exclaimed. “You have not kept the command the LORD your God gave you. Had you kept it, the LORD would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. 14 But now your kingdom must end, for the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart….”‘ 1 Samuel 13:8-14
- “The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked.” Jeremiah 17:9
- “For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. 24 Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.” Romans 3:23-24
- “‘I tell you, her sins—and they are many—have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love.” 48 Then Jesus said to the woman, “Your sins are forgiven.”’ Luke 7:47-48
- “But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.” Romans 5:8
Reflect on What You’ve Heard
- How do you lie to yourself instead of recognizing your own sinful desires?
- How does salvation in Christ encourage you to confront your sinful desires?
- In what ways can you be honest this week about what your motivations are?
Pray it Out
Jesus, you forgave me much, please help me to love much in return. Give me the boldness to love without bounds and to always choose humility, honesty, and forgiveness, amen.
More Sermons In This Series