Sermon Discussion Questions
“When the Government is Wrong”
- “Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.” Romans 13:1
- “The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the LORD; he guides it wherever he pleases.” Proverbs 21:1
- “Then they brought the apostles before the high council, where the high priest confronted them. 28 “We gave you strict orders never again to teach in this man’s name!” he said. “Instead, you have filled all Jerusalem with your teaching about him, and you want to make us responsible for his death!” 29 But Peter and the apostles replied, “We must obey God rather than any human authority.”‘ Acts 5:27-29
- “They called in the apostles and had them flogged. Then they ordered them never again to speak in the name of Jesus, and they let them go. 41The apostles left the high council rejoicing that God had counted them worthy to suffer disgrace for the name of Jesus. 42 And every day, in the Temple and from house to house, they continued to teach and preach this message: “Jesus is the Messiah.”’ Acts 5:40-42
- “…He stirred the heart of Cyrus to put this proclamation in writing” Ezra 1:1b
- “Then God stirred the hearts of the priests and Levites and the leaders of the tribes of Judah and Benjamin to go to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple of the LORD.” Ezra 1:5
- “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
- ‘“to the remnant of God’s people there in the land: 3 ‘Does anyone remember this house—this Temple—in its former splendor? How, in comparison, does it look to you now? It must seem like nothing at all! 4 But now the LORD says: Be strong, … “For this is what the LORD of Heaven’s Armies says: …9 The future glory of this Temple will be greater than its past glory, says the LORD of Heaven’s Armies. And in this place I will bring peace. I, the LORD of Heaven’s Armies, have spoken!”’ Hagia 2:1-4, 9
Reflect on What You’ve Heard
- Is it easy or difficult to love people you disagree with?
- What are things we can do to make sure our heart is good before we speak out or confront our authorities as Christians?
- With people we disagree with what are ways we can build bridges of compassion instead of waging a war of words?
Pray it Out
God, please heal our nation and our world! Give me grace, love, and forgiveness for the people I disagree with and the people you have divinely placed in authority. Thank you for being King over everything and everyone! Amen.