What happens when God doesn’t come through for us? Pastor John reminds us of how we can shift our mindset to overcome disappointment!
1. What are some IF THEN faith moments you have had with God?
2. What are some THENs you need to surrender to God?
3. Why is it hard to let go of some specific THENs?
4. Spend a moment in prayer giving God your THENs.
April 5, 2020 | John Hill
Sermon Discussion Questions
- “Then the mother of James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to Jesus with her sons. She knelt respectfully to ask a favor. 21 “What is your request?” he asked. She replied, “In your Kingdom, please let my two sons sit in places of honor next to you, one on your right and the other on your left.’” Matthew 20:20-21
- “Then Peter said to him, “We’ve given up everything to follow you. What will we get?”’ Matthew 19:27
- “Jesus replied, 30 “….But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.” Matthew 19:28a, 30
- “Jesus was in the center of the procession, and the people all around him were shouting, “Praise God for the Son of David! Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the LORD! Praise God in highest heaven!” 10 The entire city of Jerusalem was in an uproar as he entered. “Who is this?” they asked. 11 And the crowds replied, “It’s Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth in Galilee.”’ Matthew 21:9-11
- “The disciples were indignant when they saw this. “What a waste!” they said. 9 “It could have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor.’” Matthew 26:8-9
- “Then Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve disciples, went to the leading priests 15 and asked, “How much will you pay me to betray Jesus to you?” And they gave him thirty pieces of silver. 16 From that time on, Judas began looking for an opportunity to betray Jesus.” Matthew 26:14
- “So Judas came straight to Jesus. “Greetings, Rabbi!” he exclaimed and gave him the kiss. 50 Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.”’ Matthew 26:49-50
- “Who are you looking for?” he asked. 5 “Jesus the Nazarene,” they replied. “I AM he,” Jesus said. …6 As Jesus said “I AM he,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! 7 Once more he asked them, “Who are you looking for?” And again they replied, “Jesus the Nazarene.” 8 “I told you that I AM he,” Jesus said. “And since I am the one you want, let these others go.”’ John 18:4-7
- “When Judas, who had betrayed him, realized that Jesus had been condemned to die, he was filled with remorse. So he took the thirty pieces of silver back to the leading priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he declared, “for I have betrayed an innocent man.”’ Matthew 27: 3-4
- ‘“Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”’ Luke 22:42
Reflect on What You’ve Heard
- What are some IF THEN faith moments you have had with God?
- What are some THENs you need to surrender to God?
- Why is it hard to let go of some specific THENs?
- Spend a moment in prayer giving God your THENs.
Pray it Out
Jesus, please take away my THENs and replace them with Your desires and Your will for my life! Amen.