Live it Out
Trolling for Hope
“How to Persuade People”
- “’Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. …. 22b Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. 23 I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.” 1 Corinthians 9:19, 22b-23
- “While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was deeply troubled by all the idols he saw everywhere in the city. … 22 So Paul, standing before the council, addressed them as follows: “Men of Athens, I notice that you are very religious in every way, 23 for as I was walking along I saw your many shrines. And one of your altars had this inscription on it: ‘To an Unknown God.’ This God, whom you worship without knowing, is the one I’m telling you about.” Acts 17:16, 22-23
- “So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.” John 13:34
- “When they heard Paul speak about the resurrection of the dead, some laughed in contempt, but others said, “We want to hear more about this later.” 33 That ended Paul’s discussion with them, 34 but some joined him and became believers. Among them were Dionysius, a member of the council, a woman named Damaris, and others with them.” Acts 17:32-34
Reflect on What You’ve Heard
- Think of some people in your life on the opposite end of the spectrum… Do you love them?
- What are some conversations you have had that you failed at this with?
- How broad is your range of grace?
- How is your anchor holding?
Pray it Out
Jesus, give me the wisdom to know how to speak to those who I don’t agree with and repair my range of grace to extend to everyone! Please make my anchor strong and my conversations captivating, amen.