Sermon Discussion Questions
Battlefield of the Mind
“How to Deal With Doubt”
- “Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. 7 Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do.” James 1:6b-8
- “Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” 16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you.”’ Matthew 16:15-17
- “On the way, Jesus told them, “Tonight all of you will desert me.”… 33 Peter declared, “Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you.” 34 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, Peter—this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.”’ Matthew 26:31, 33-34
- “Meanwhile, Peter was sitting outside in the courtyard. A servant girl came over and said to him, “You were one of those with Jesus the Galilean.” 70 But Peter denied it in front of everyone. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said….” Matthew 26:69-70
- “After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.” “Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him. 16Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” “Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.” “Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said. 17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.” John 21:15-17
- “Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? … 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.” Romans 8:35, 37
Reflect on What You’ve Heard
- What areas of doubt do you struggle with, if any?
- How has your doubt carried you to better/worse places?
- What areas of your life have you let the wagon of doubt run away? How can you stop it?
- Are you circling the camp or building the homestead of faith?
Pray it Out
God, please help me to put doubt in its right place. Give me the courage to control my doubt and choose to build my life on you. Thank you for your faithfulness in everything and for the abundance of evidence you give me, amen.